Note: I love the wallop of unexpectedly crunchy sea salt and freshly cracked pepper in this salad, which takes it from an ordinary fruit salad to something spesh enough to serve to guests. Be sure to salt and pepper each individual portion rather than the whole dish — if not consumed immediately, the salt will just serve to draw the moisture out of the fruit and will soggy things up a bit.
you will need:
- 1 pineapple (peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced)
- 4 navel oranges, supremed or peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 T good extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small bunch mint (about 30 leaves), julienned
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- coarse sea salt and black pepper, for serving
Combine pineapple, oranges and olive oil in a large bowl and toss thoroughly. Scatter raspberries and mint over the top. Plate to shallow bowls and serve with coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper.